The Faces of 90.5 WESA
WESA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
WESA and WYEP Pittsburgh ~ Director of Development
Posted August 27, 2013 and Open Until Filled
The station group that includes WESA 90.5 and WYEP 91.3 in Pittsburgh, PA is seeking a DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT to oversee the membership programs of both stations. The Director of Development will manage all individual giving, major gifts, planned giving and alternative revenue streams such as vehicle donation and corporate matches for WESA and WYEP public media organizations. The successful candidate will be able to design, implement, evaluate and refine our development activities. This position identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards donors and prospects in accordance with strategic goals and targets set by the General Managers of both stations. This position provides leadership and direction for development staff, fundraising consultants and board members to support the strategic goals and objectives of the organization and successfully leverage all resources to implement fundraising plans. This full-time, exempt position reports to the General Managers of both stations.
Core tasks include but are not limited to:
- Managing the membership programs of both stations, including organizing, producing and overseeing on-air membership campaigns, increasing new member participation, boosting donor retention, ensuring success of sustained giving programs and increasing overall gift revenue.
- Leading staff to maximize productivity, creativity and financial results through a variety of fundraising tactics including direct mail, telemarketing, e-communication and on-air fundraising.
- Researching, writing, editing or overseeing the preparation of persuasive, accurate, and well-crafted solicitations, proposals, case statements, reports, correspondence, and other development-related communication materials in support of the stations’ fund-raising activities.
- Providing strategic oversight of major giving program including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship as well as goal setting and record keeping. Identifying opportunities for special campaigns, such as operating campaigns, special editorial projects and possible capital improvement and endowment campaigns.
- Overseeing fundraising recordkeeping systems ensuring data accuracy, donor privacy, acknowledgement and recognition and timely reporting.
- Participating in strategic planning and helping to identify fundraising implications and leading development team’s implementation of strategic objectives.
- Recruiting, managing and evaluating the development team and guiding the professional development of staff and ensure that they are knowledgeable about trends that may impact fundraising efforts.
- Representing WESA and WYEP in the public radio community nationally and maintaining strong relationships with relevant organizations. Attend public radio conferences and meetings, as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization.
- Minimum six years of relevant development & fundraising experience in a mature nonprofit environment with a proven track record of effective team leadership and collaboration. Experience in public media is a strong plus.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for maximizing performance in membership/direct marketing campaigns and the ability to translate research into strategy. Familiarity with audience research is advantageous.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and cultivate key donor and opinion leader relationships; familiarity with the Pittsburgh philanthropic community is highly desirable.
- Exceptional communication and people skills with the ability to communicate both externally and internally across departments.
- Sound strategic thinking and ability to recognize how strategic decisions are implemented successfully.
- Proficiency with a variety of technology tools including Microsoft Office and database management. Knowledge of Memsys is beneficial.
- Strong computer-based data analysis skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented and ability to track a lot of information efficiently.
- Effective decision making skills, ability to stay calm under pressure and handle non-routine situations with command and ease.
- Experience managing budgets and ability to interpret and act upon financial information.
Pittsburgh is a vibrant city with strong philanthropic support for the arts and regional assets. WESA and WYEP are among the most respected and beloved local institutions in the community. This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to have an impact on the growth and long term sustainability of these public media organizations.
Salary is commensurate with experience and we offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical insurance, paid medical leave, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is diverse and progressive.
Applicants are invited to send cover letter, resume, salary history, and professional references to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
WESA and WYEP are Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employers, and actively seek diversity in the workforce.