The Faces of 90.5 WESA
WESA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
General Assignment Multimedia Reporter/Weekend Host - WESA 90.5fm
Posted April 30, 2013 and Open Until Filled
The Essential Public Media General Assignment Multimedia Reporter/Weekend Host produces thoughtful and compelling news reports and features for broadcast on 90.5 WESA and for our digital platforms online. This position also hosts mornings on Saturdays and Sundays. This is one full-time exempt position reporting to the Senior News Editor.
- Three out of five days and about 70% of the work hours go to reporting; about 30% to hosting weekend mornings. Workweek is Saturday through Wednesday.
- Work with Senior News Editor, Senior Digital Content Editor and the Director of Content & Programming to produce engaging and innovative news spot reports and multimedia features for digital platforms, programs and newscasts.
- Consistently generate and pitch creative, thoughtful and original story ideas for both digital and broadcast platforms.
- Research, report, write and produce spot news and feature material for Morning Edition, Essential Pittsburgh, All Things Considered programs, newscasts and all digital platforms.
- File reports live in studio or in the field and may contribute to roundtable discussions of events and issues. Conduct live debriefs with hosts as appropriate.
- May present newscasts or prepare broadcast or digital material for others and substitute for news anchors and hosts as requested.
- Be dedicated to engaging and growing audiences on air and across multiple social networks.
- Accept and deliver on daily and ongoing broadcast and digital assignments both in and out of the office.
- Participate in covering breaking news or extensive coverage as the situation warrants.
- Participate in on-air and online fundraising as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism related field or equivalent experience or training.
- Must have a minimum of two years of reporting in a broadcast newsroom environment. Multimedia news content training and experience is required.
- The job requires strong on-air reporting, writing and technical skills as well as a commitment to and understanding of multi-platform journalism.
- The ideal candidate will be both a team player and self-motivated and have a track record of producing daily news stories and features of interest to local audiences.
- Proven ethical judgment, with a commitment to standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast paced, multiple deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write for both broadcast and web audiences with SEO driven posts.
- Expected to be well informed in a wide range of areas beyond current events.
- Knowledge of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania is helpful.
- Must have experience with field audio gathering equipment and editing software as well as additional experience shooting and editing video and/or photos.
- Experience with social media platforms required.
- Demonstration of new media techniques and a commitment to following and embracing advances in technology.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule depending on breaking news cycle is required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and access to a vehicle with adequate auto insurance.
Salary commensurate with experience, medical insurance and paid medical leave policy, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and nine paid holidays per year.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, and three references to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please include web links to content that you've worked on. No phone calls, please.
WESA is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
Thank you for your interest in 90.5 WESA.