The Faces of 90.5 WESA
Tue October 14, 2014
90.5 WESA Pittsburgh ~ Major Gifts Officer
Posted October 14, 2014 and Open Until Filled
90.5 WESA seeks a Major Gifts Officer. This is a full-time, salary- exempt position. Under the direct supervision of the General Manager and working closely with the Director of Development, the Major Gifts Officer is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts, planned gifts and leadership level annual fund prospects and donors for 90.5 WESA, Pittsburgh’s NPR News Station. In addition, the Major Gifts officer will help write foundation proposals. The Major Gifts Officer will nurture current relationships with major donors and foundation program officers, cultivate new relationships and assist with major donor special events.
The Major Gifts Officer should be passionate about public media; possess excellent communication, writing, strategic and organizational skills.
The Major Gifts Officer must be confident engaging with major donors, foundation officers and potential planned giving candidates.
- Responsible for managing a portfolio of major gifts prospects and major donors.
- Responsible for identifying and soliciting gifts that meet 90.5 WESA’s annual major giving goals.
- Works with Development staff to identify steadfast annual fund donors who can be cultivated for major, planned and leadership level annual gifts.
- Works with the 90.5 WESA General Manager to cultivate relationships with top major donors and potential major donors.
- Makes donor visits each month as part of cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts. This will include appointments throughout the southwestern Pennsylvania region.
- Maintains relationship records in station database for all interactions including identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Conducts donor research using station wealth screening software.
- Develops, plans and executes major giving events, in collaboration with appropriate staff, board and volunteers.
- Works with GM and other staff to identify projects and foundation prospects for grant funding.
- Writes proposals to solicit foundation support.
- Assists with other Development projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Non-Profit Management, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Business or a related field.
- 5+ years of direct fundraising experience in a nonprofit or similar organization.
- Demonstrated experience and success in cultivating relationships that have resulted in major gifts.
- Demonstrated ability in planning and implementing long-and short-range development initiatives to meet established priorities.
- Demonstrated understanding of the major giving process and knowledge of fund-raising strategies and methods.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively one-on-one and to small groups.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage highly sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, to demonstrate an understanding of ethics related to development activities, and to use discretion in interactions with donors, prospects, volunteers, and others.
- Professional and helpful business image presented to all individuals, both within and outside of the organization.
- Ability to foster effective working relationships within a team environment.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Proficiency in MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook; and donor software Memsys, Blackbaud.
- Willingness to travel throughout the region for donor calls and work flexible hours when necessary, including reliable vehicle, current driver license, clean driving record, and adequate auto insurance.
90.5 WESA offers:
Salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package that includes medical insurance, paid medical leave, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is diverse and progressive.
Applicants are invited to send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and history, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.
90.5 WESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and actively seeks diversity in the workforce.