The Faces of 90.5 WESA
Thu June 12, 2014
The Best Regional Beaches... Where to Get Away
Grab the sunscreen, your favorite book and anything else you might need for fun in the sun.
This week travel contributor Elaine Labalme suggests regional beaches to visit from the Jersey Shore to Virginia.
Here’s her fabulous list of beaches to visit this summer.
Assateague's Wild Horses:
- This beach is popular for the wild pony swim at the end of July. Elaine said the ponies are auctioned after the swim to keep the wild herds in check.
- The Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge is located in the vicinity as well.
- If you’re looking for a more quiet, private beach, this is the place for you, says Elaine.
Seven Mile Pies, Stone Harbor, NJ:
- This is a popular area for both busy, social beaches and quiet beaches alike.
- Cape May, a historic district site, is a must see. The lighthouse is still operating, although there are 199 steps if you want to make it to the top.
- Elaine says you HAVE to try the buffalo chicken pizza in the area.
- The Dogfish Head Brewery is close by if you want to grab a beer after your hot day at the beach.
- The boardwalks are great for fashion and shopping if you need something to do on a rainy day.
- Food! Kohr Brothers Custard, Thrasher's Fries, and Dolle’s Saltwater Taffy are all on the boardwalk, and Elaine says all three are a must try.
- Virginia Beach is one of the easiest to travel to from Pittsburgh, due to the interstate.
- If you’re looking for fun, you’ll find it on the city’s active beaches and boardwalk.
- Make sure you stay at the Hilton Hotel of Virginia Beach, the oceanfront hotel has an amazing infinity pool on its rooftop.
In addition to her great travel tips, Elaine reminds us not to forget to pack sunscreen and mosquito spray before you leave the house for your beach vacation, as they may be sold out in stores surrounding the beach. Don’t skimp on the water either. A Dogfish Head beer may seem refreshing after a long day on the beach, but Elaine says it is imperative to stay hydrated so you can continue to enjoy your fun in the sun!