Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation Job Posting
POSITION: Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development
STATUS: Full Time
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
We are seeking an experienced Human Resources manager to oversee all of the HR functions of the organization, in accordance with the policies of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation (“PCBC”), and consistent with all applicable laws and regulations.
This is more than just another HR job, and is very much a “hands-on” position. We seek to be an “Employer of Choice” in Pittsburgh and in our industry; to that end, we are seeking an individual who can manage the usual responsibilities of an HR Department, but who can also help define and lead our culture: employee-oriented and high performance, emphasizing creativity and collaboration, empowerment, quality of work, productivity, growth and personal satisfaction.
This individual will have an appreciation for the mission and value of non-commercial, nonpartisan media, and a desire to play a role in delivering its value to the full diversity of the Pittsburgh community.
The Director, Human Resources is responsible for the overall provision of Human Resources and Organizational Development services, policies, and programs for the entire company. They are also responsible for the culture of the organization, and the cultivation of a culture rooted in excellence, creativity, transparency, collaboration and respect.
Major areas of work will include:
- Maintaining and applying deep knowledge of HR policies, laws, regulations and issues;
- Employment law and regulatory compliance;
- Employee safety, welfare, wellness and health;
- Compensation and benefits administration;
- Developing policies and programs for effective management of the people resources of the organization, including programs for employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, employee complaints, external education and career development;
- Monitoring adherence to policies and legal standards;
- Maintain all required files and information systems;
- Solicit and maintain annual “Conflict of Interest” and “Payola/Plugola” affidavits from employees, volunteers and Board;
- Leading efforts to build an inclusive & diverse workplace;
- Recruiting and staffing;
- Employee orientation, development, and training;
- Performance management and improvement;
- Organizational development;
- Serve as key HR advisor to Executive Team;
- Employee communications;
- Consultation with Legal Counsel as required to anticipate & resolve litigation risks;
- Organizational and space planning.
This individual will report to the CEO and will serve on the Executive Leadership Team, where they will assist and advise on Human Resources issues. They will also be charged with leveraging their experience, knowledge and tools in a strategic way across the entire organization, assisting department heads in better understanding the organizational implications of their work, with an eye toward improvement of both performance and culture.
This is a full-time position, and business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Longer hours, evenings and weekend work will frequently be necessary.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, in human resources or business-related field;
- 5+ years of relevant experience;
- SHRM-SCP or similar certification is desirable.
- Personal Characteristics
- Thorough knowledge of human resource management principles and practices;
- Strong organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines, and attention to detail;
- Strong problem-solving and research skills;
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills;
- Business acumen, coupled with attention to the human element;
- Proven ability to drive company culture;
- Familiar with applicable laws, labor market, and wage/hour regulations;
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality in all matters;
- Ability to successfully manage and lead staff;
- Ability to work successfully in a creative, personality-driven industry;
- Proven success in a collegial and collaborative work setting;
- Enthusiasm for the missions of WYEP, WESA and PCBC;
- A track record of unquestionable honesty, integrity and commitment to service.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation (PCBC) is an independent, locally owned community- supported public media organization. PCBC is home to Pittsburgh’s NPR News station, 90.5 WESA, and 91.3 WYEP, serving Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of Western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation serves the more than 2 million residents of Pittsburgh and its surrounding communities by leveraging the power of media to inform, inspire, and entertain. We engage audiences and cultivate conversations that strengthen, enrich and improve the communities we serve.
- 90.5 WESA, was launched in 2011 (in partnership with the Pittsburgh philanthropic community) with an NPR News format, dedicated to informing people in ways that engage and inspire dialogue about global, national and community issues. Its stated mission is “to work for the public to inform people in ways that engage and inspire them to create dialog about community issues and stories”.
- 91.3 WYEP was founded in 1974 as an all-volunteer community licensed radio station; it broadcasts a diverse offering of adult alternative music, provides community education programs, and presents a large number of highly visible events and concerts in the region. Its mission is to “enrich the community through musical discovery, expression and education”.
In addition to radio programming, both stations play an active role in engaging the community through online and mobile services and in-person events, and have a prominent voice in Pittsburgh’s civic and cultural affairs.
Each week more than 200,000 Southwestern Pennsylvanians listen to Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation broadcasts, and tens of thousands more engage with our content through our websites and mobile digital services.
Benefits and More
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers compensation commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package that includes medical and life insurances, paid medical leave, a 403(b) retirement plan with generous matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is diverse, collaborative and progressive.
Applicants are invited to send a cover, resume, and three references to HRDirector@wesa.fm. In your cover letter, be sure to tell us how you learned about this position, and include your current compensation level.
Please, no phone calls.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and actively seeks diversity in its workforce.