Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation Job Posting
POSITION: Corporate Underwriting Account Executive
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Corporate Support
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation (“PCBC”) is seeking an experienced and successful underwriting sales executive to join its team, to represent WESA and WYEP with businesses and organizations in the Pittsburgh region. Our underwriting partners support PCBC because of a shared belief in the value of the programming we produce, and a belief that WESA and WYEP can help them reach educated members, listeners and potential customers. This is a key role in our organization. The focus of this position is new business development, which will represents a significant portion of the organization’s revenue. This individual will also manage a modest portfolio of underwriting business.
In addition to focusing on new business development, the individual will be responsible for the following:
- Working to learn the organizational structure and sales process for PCBC
- Work within in a team-based collaborative department to achieve department and organizational goals
- Prospecting, cold calling, appointment setting, presenting and selling corporate underwriting for both 91.3 WYEP and 90.5 WESA, including digital assets and events
- Effectively develop new business while managing an assigned list of accounts
- Responsible for weekly/monthly activity tracking, projecting and forecasting future results, and reports of sales activity
- Maintain accurate client and prospect files and records that are current, organized and accessible on Saleforce platform
- Schedule on premise sales calls with prospective and current clients
- Responsible for exceeding monthly, quarterly and annual sales goals
- Understands and uses broadcast research such as Arbitron and qualitative statistics such as Scarborough.
- Planning comprehensive marketing campaigns for underwriting partners utilizing all sales tools available including Tapscan, Scarborough, Salesforce
- Adhere to accounting department payment and collection procedures.
- Complete understanding and observance of the FCC rules and regulations as it relates to underwriting messaging in a noncommercial setting
- Represent organization at community networking events
- Understand the unique nature of public radio to be able to effectively advocate for the products and services.
Education and Experience
- An undergraduate degree or its equivalent is required;
- Minimum of three (3) years of proven success in underwriting or media sales experience (ideally in public media or the non-profit sector);
- Successful record of cultivating, managing, and retaining new business;
- Proficient at client management from prospecting to closing;
- Experience in a non-profit, mission-based organization is highly desirable.
- Highly motivated and creative with knowledge of required marketing skills and a willingness to develop through training;
- Capable of independent work, without the requirement for constant supervision;
- Capable of working effectively in a highly collaborative culture;
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to write and present in a professional and motivating manner;
- A thorough understanding of media sales and media planning;
- Effective time management skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and clients simultaneously;
- Honesty and integrity in all dealings;
- Enthusiasm for the missions of WYEP, WESA and PCBC.
PCBC is an independent, locally owned community-supported public media organization. PCBC is home to Pittsburgh’s NPR News station, 90.5 WESA, and 91.3 WYEP, serving Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of Western Pennsylvania. PCBC serves the more than 2 million residents of Pitssburgh and its surrounding communities by leveraging the power of media to inform, inspire and entertain. We engage audiences and cultivate conversations that strengthen, enrich and improve the communities we serve.
- 90.5 WESA was launched in 2011 (in partnership with Pittsburgh’s philanthropic community) with an NPR news format. Its stated mission is “to work for the public to inform people in ways that engage and inspire them to create dialogue about community issues and stories.”
- 91.3 WYEP was founded in 1974 as an all-volunteer community licensed radio station. It broadcasts a diverse offering of adult alternative music, provides community education programs, and presents a large number of highly visible events and concerts in the region. Its mission is to “enrich the community through musical discovery, expression and education.”
In addition to radio programming, both stations play an active role in engaging the community through online and mobile services and in-person events, and have a prominent voice in Pittsburgh’s civic and cultural affairs.
Each week more than 200,000 Southwestern Pennsylvanians listen to PCBC broadcasts and tens of thousands more engage with our content through our websites and mobile digital services.
Benefits and More
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers a competitive base salary with commission and an excellent benefits package that includes medical insurance, paid medical leave, 403(b) plan with matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and innovative.
This position is available immediately, and the search for candidates may be terminated without notice. No phone calls, please.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter, a detailed resume highlighting your specific qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please include your salary requirements and let us know how you heard about the position.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.