The Faces of 90.5 WESA
Mon April 1, 2013
Judge Tosses Suits by 3 Wounded Duquesne Players
A federal judge in Pittsburgh has dismissed lawsuits by three former Duquesne University basketball players who sued the school, claiming it was responsible when two men shot them after an on-campus dance in 2006.
But U.S. District Judge David Cercone's ruling, first reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday, says the school isn't responsible for the pain, damages and loss of income claimed by Shawn James, Stuard Baldonado and Kojo Mensah. They were three of five players wounded in the shooting on Sept. 17, 2006, following a dance sponsored by the Black Student Union.
Two non-students who attended the dance were convicted in the shootings that also injured Sam Ashaolu — whose similar lawsuit in state court was previously dismissed — and Aaron Jackson, who didn't sue.
Cercone says the school met its legal obligations by providing campus police.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.