A man killed in a Pittsburgh apartment fire was set to be evicted and may have started the blaze by disconnecting the gas line to his stove.
Witnesses reported hearing an explosion before just after 7 a.m. in the nine-story, 170-unit Amberson apartment complex in the city's Shadyside section.
The Allegheny County medical examiner has identified the dead man as 60-year-old Mark A. Williams. An autopsy shows he died of external burns and from inhaling superheated air.
Investigators say more investigation is needed to determine whether his death will be confirmed as a suicide.
Two people from other units in the building had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
County Sheriff William Mullen said Williams was set to receive an eviction notice Thursday. City Fire Chief Darryl Jones confirmed the cause of the blaze.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.