Officials with Pennsylvania's Department of Transportation say the 300-foot section of Route 30 that collapsed during a landslide in East Pittsburgh earlier this month will re-open in mid-July.
PennDOT District Executive Cheryl Moon-Sirianni said the department is currently accepting bids from firms for the reconstruction, which includes a 20-foot-high, 400-foot-wide wall protecting the road from the hillside.
"The contractors have a very aggressive schedule, they're going to be asked to provide a bid on Friday, hoping to have a notice to proceed either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week," Moon-Sirianni said. "And construction to start very soon thereafter."
More than 30 residents were displaced by the landslide when it dropped 30 feet down the hillside. Ten residents have been permanently displaced, and PennDOT and other state and local departments are working to find them permanent housing.
Moon-Sirianni said she expects Electric Avenue below Route 30 to remain open during the reconstruction process.