The Faces of 90.5 WESA
Mon October 17, 2011
Steer Clear of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning This Season
The Allegheny County Health Department wants to remind residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Common sources of carbon monoxide are a malfunctioning or incorrectly venting furnace, a hot water heater with a venting problem, or anything that burns fossil fuel.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that's a by-product of incomplete combustion in fuel.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is insidious when there are relatively low levels. People may not realize that they have been exposed because the symptoms are similar to those of influenza.
Thirty-three accidental poisonings were reported last year in Allegheny County. None were fatal.