The Faces of 90.5 WESA
Thu June 26, 2014
A Summer Staple: 5 Outdoor Concert Venues to Visit
One of the many joys of summer is listening to music at an outdoor venue. Whether you enjoy opera, jazz, rock or classical it somehow seems more enjoyable outdoors.
Travel contributor Elaine Labalme, suggests some famous performance spaces where you can enjoy an outdoor concert.
Tanglewood and Wolf Trap
- Tanglewood is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. This summer, their tickets for Symphony performances will be priced at $20 for those under 40 years old, and those under 17 will receive their tickets for free.
- John Williams does a film night performance of his movie hits in the summer at Tanglewood.
- Wolf Trap seats 7,000 people and will feature Diana Ross, Ben Folds, and Colbie Caillat this summer.
- Opera Company was actually founded here.
- The Opera Company puts on 4 performances a season, “Madam Butterfly” and “An American Tragedy” are two of the features this summer.
DTE Energy Music Theater, formerly known as Pine Knob Music Theater
- According to LaBalme, Pine Knob is where the big names in rock and hip-hop performance every year.
- Nine Inch Nails, Wiz Khalifa, Drake, and the Zac Brown Band are a few of the features this summer.
-The Doors were the first rock act to perform at Saratoga in 1968
- KISS and Luke Bryan are featured here this summer.
- The Pier Six Pavilion is popular because it is generally close and easy for Pittsburghers to travel to.
- Both John Legend and Gavin Degraw will be performing at the Pavilion this summer.